Monday 11 August 2014

Wittenham Clumps

Find this park on the google map I made for you. 

You can get here a couple of ways. We usually turn left off the A4130 - the road leading from Haddon Hill, passed Brightwell and towards Wallingford - onto Sires Hill. It is very well signposted.

You can also get there from Long Wittenham , turning towards Little Wittenham at the end of the High Street just before you turn left towards Clifton Hampden. 

You can park in the specially designated car park but it is often very busy. I have often parked in the Earth Trust's Car park though because the wooden posts either side of the entry to the car park look menacing to me!

My children love this place, especially my son, who would always ask to go here after he finished his morning at at nursery. It was the first place I took my children when I passed my driving test at the age of 30. 

You can walk to Dorchester from here, it is about a mile. You will need to walk passed the church in LIttle Wittenham, over the weir and through the fields. 

We really like the woods that slope down from the smaller hill. As you walk in from the carpark (not the Earth Trust one), take the middle path between the two hills. Go through the large gate and follow it down. The woods are you your right. 

Here are a few of my favourite photos of / from the Clumps.



From the top of the bigger, higher hill. 




Of the Clumps, from Blewburton Hill, Blewbury. 




No comments:

Post a Comment